EuroMed Feminist Initiative EFI is a policy network that provides expertise in the field of gender equality, democracy building and citizenship, and advocates for political solutions to all conflicts, and peoples´ rights to self-determination. EFI encompasses women’s rights organizations from the two shores of the Mediterranean and seeks to correct the gender power imbalances through ending discrimination and oppression of women and bringing about positive change for the whole society. EFI Headquarters are in Paris, with offices in Amman, Beirut, and Erbil.
Since September 1st, 2019, EuroMed Feminist Initiative has started to implement a multi-county project “Strengthening access to protection, participation, and services for women refugees, IDPs and host communities”, funded by the EU Regional Trust Fund in Response to the Syrian Crisis – MADAD. The overall objective is to improve the livelihood, agency and legal and social protection for Syrian women refugees, IDPs and host communities in the region in Lebanon, Iraq/Kurdistan Region – Iraq (KR-I) and Jordan.
In Lebanon, EuroMed Feminist Initiative partners are Care International, Lebanese Democratic Women Gathering and Legal Action Worldwide. The objectives are to enhance security and resilience for Syrian women refugees and women from host communities through supporting and coordinating comprehensive and structured services and referral mechanisms as well as supporting gender sensitizing of policy frameworks and legislation.
In Iraq EuroMed Feminist Initiative partners are Baghdad Women Association, and Women Empowerment Organization. The objectives are to enhance security and resilience for Syrian women refugees, IDPs and women from host communities through supporting and coordinating comprehensive and structured services and referral mechanisms as well as supporting gender sensitizing of policy frameworks and legislation.
In Jordan EuroMed Feminist Initiative partners are Tamkeen and Business Development Center. The objectives are to improve in Jordan livelihood of Syrian women refugees and host communities and to contribute to eliminating practical, social, cultural and legal barriers to their employment.
EuroMed Feminist Initiative is looking for a qualified Communication and Visibility Officer based in Beirut.
The Overall Responsibility as a Communication and Visibility Officer is:
- To further develop, implement and monitor the communication and visibility strategy of MADAD project, coordinate with consortium partners and liaise with counterparts particularly with the European Union.
- To contribute to promoting EFI’s goals and vision, particularly through MADAD’s objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with partners’ assigned responsible staff and liaise with the EU Madad C&V officer, to ensure that commonly agreed messages are developed in compliance with EU guidelines and the project Communication and Visibility Plan.
- Ensures proper implementation and monitoring of MADAD project communication and visibility.
- Coordinates communication between EFI and members of the consortium in order to agree in advance prior to dissemination or publication of information related to MADAD through different means (ie. press release, social media, visibility, visual presentation, printing materials etc).
- Quickly understands and analyses complex challenges within the region and comes up with sound and rational communication plan and strategy between EFI and members of the consortium.
- In collaboration with Programme Team, translates the framework through proper communication and visibility events, outreach activities, trainings and props (eg. Banners, leaflets, video).
- Builds relationships with media organizations within the region; drafts press releases and other public relations material to communicate EFIs position and consortium on emerging developments in line with its MADAD goals.
- Elaborates and updates contents for EFI website and social media; works with Programme Team ahead of events and meetings to devise key messages and integrate social media into the activities; monitors public opinion, views and news related to MADAD; takes into account socio cultural context for publication materials; provides regular briefing and feedback to Programme Team.
- Supports the development and organization of events and meetings aimed at raising EFI’s profile, engaging new audiences in its work and strengthening its support base; ensures there is a coverage of every workshop, advocacy activity, meetings with stakeholders such as community hosts, local authorities and ministries, social workers and consortium members.
- Develops and implements documentation or presentation of EFI’s work in collaboration with graphic designer, photographer, film-maker; ensures availability of qualified translators for events.
- Follows up and monitors the MADAD budget specifically for communication and visibility lines; works closely with the Finance Team and Logistics Team in respect of EFI main framework such as procurement, ethical guidelines, and anti-corruption.
This position reports directly to Head of International Cooperation and Development.
Close collaboration with Country Managers and Project Officers in Beirut, Erbil, and Amman. Holds regular contact with HQ especially with Head of Programs and Communication Officer of European Union in Beirut.
- University degree with preference in communication and social sciences.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Arabic is essential. French language is a plus.
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office application especially Publisher, Power Point. Desirable knowledge in graphic design, editing, photoshop.
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience is required. This may include previous work experience in communication, journalism or public relations, at civil society organizations, NGOs, governmental or intergovernmental institutions.
- Demonstrable experience communicating to audiences through traditional and social media.
- Awareness of relevant traditional and digital media networks and platforms within the region
- Ability to carry out successful media outreach campaigns.
- Ability to draft and edit written material accurately, concisely and appropriately for a particular audience.
- Proven experience producing quality creative materials for print, broadcast or digital.
- Excellent understanding of the political and social context within the region and ability to engage with various stakeholders.
- Knowledge of women’s rights, international law, including human rights, humanitarian law, criminal law and regional and international human rights mechanisms is an asset.
- Willingness to use initiative, work independently and think creatively.
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning, organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way, presents effectively.
- This role is open for qualified Lebanese candidates
- The duty station is in Beirut
- A fixed-term position until 31st of August 2019 extendable
- Travel requirements within the region particularly to Amman, and Erbil, as well as to Paris.
How to apply:
Email your brief cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 7 November 2019. Please also indicate ‘Communication and Visibility Officer Beirut’ as your email subject.