EuroMed Feminist Initiative (EFI) is a policy network that provides expertise in the field of gender equality, democracy building and citizenship, and advocates for political solutions to all conflicts, and peoples´ rights to self-determination. EFI encompasses women’s rights organizations from the two shores of the Mediterranean and seeks to correct the gender power imbalances through ending discrimination and oppression of women and bringing about positive change for the whole society. EFI Headquarters are in Paris, with offices in Amman, Beirut and Erbil.
In January 2019, EuroMed Feminist Initiative with a consortium of 9 women’s rights organizations launched a three-year regional project titled “Combating Violence against Women in the Southern Mediterranean Region”, funded by the EU. The overall objective is to contribute to the elimination of all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG) in the Southern Neighborhood States.
In the frame of the project, EFI has built a consortium with credible and experienced national women’s rights organizations in Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
For the purpose of the project, EFI is looking for an intern based in Regional Office Amman, Jordan to support and assist the Project Coordinator in its duties.
The Project assistant responsibilities are:
• Research, monitor and compile information from different sources ;
• Prepare briefing notes, talking points, and reports as required ;
• Participate and support in the implementation of regional activities ;
• Assist Program coordinator and communication coordinator in the organisation of events (including high level conferences, forums…) ;
• Contribute to the development of publications, advocacy and communication materials ;
• Provide editing and revision support on reports, briefs, guidance notes, studies, and other timely documents as needed ;
• Assist in translating documents in French and in English ;
• Provide support on additional tasks and projects related to programme as necessary and assigned by Program Coordinator ;
This position reports directly to Project Coordinator who is based in Amman, Jordan.
• Bachelor’s Degree or being enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree) in a relevant field (such as international development, gender studies, law…)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and French is essential ; working knowledge of Arabic is desirable
• Excellent Microsoft Office application (PowerPoint, excel, word) ; and knowledge in design application is an asset
▪ Excellent writing skills and translation experience English <-> French is an asset
▪ Strong organizational and research skills
▪ Experience in writing, editing reports, draft presentations
▪ Basic statistics knowledge
▪ Awareness of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups
• Interest in EFI’s core cause, feminism, women’s rights and gender equality
▪ Energetic and positive attitude with strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills
▪ Ability to work in team
▪ Analytical and problem-solving approach
▪ Ability to communicate in a clear, precise and structured way, presents effectively
▪ Duty station is in Amman, Jordan
▪ A 6 months paid internship
How to apply:
Email your brief cover letter and CV in English to email@example.com by 20th of February 2020. Please also indicate ‘Internship – Project Assistant – Jordan’ as your email subject.
EuroMed Feminist Initiative (EFI) is a policy network that provides expertise in the field of gender equality, democracy building and citizenship, and advocates for political solutions to all conflicts, and peoples´ rights to self-determination. Headquarters are in Paris, with offices in Amman, Beirut, and Erbil.
EuroMed Feminist Initiative is implementing a multi-county project “Strengthening access to protection, participation and services for women refugees, IDPs and host communities”, funded by the EU Regional Trust Fund in Response to the Syrian Crisis – EU MADAD fund. The overall objective is to improve the livelihood, agency and legal and social protection for Syrian women refugees, IDPs and host communities in the region in Lebanon, Iraq/Kurdistan Region – Iraq (KR-I) and Jordan.
In Iraq EuroMed Feminist Initiative partners are Women Empowerment Organization and Baghdad Women Association. The objectives are to enhance security and resilience for Syrian women refugees and women from host communities through supporting and coordinating comprehensive and structured services and referral mechanisms as well as supporting gender sensitizing of policy frameworks and legislation.
For this project, EuroMed Feminist Initiative is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the Accountant position based in Erbil.
The Overall Responsibility as an Accountant is:
To work on overall financial monitoring and support capacity building for Iraqi office and partners and to practice rigorous financial control mechanism. To make sure that EFI’s financial procedures, policies and requirements are implemented in compliance with the EU and EU Regional Trust Fund MADAD and to contribute to the achievement of EFI’s goals and vision.
The roles and responsibilities are:
- Participates in preparation of budget and other funding requests; provides financial support to Program Team; prepares financial monthly reports for activities using EFI specific format; close monitoring on budget and revision in collaboration with Amman office and HQ.
- Ensures accurately recording of all transactions made by cash or bank or any other form in the EFI financial system; monitors timely receipt and expenditure returns from Program Team and ensures correct data entry and reconciliation in the system; ensures that work advances are accounted for in line with IFE-EFI and donor’s financial guidelines.
- Manages daily operations of accounting system which is in line with EFI and donor (ie. EU) requirements, maintains cash and non-cash transactions, manages bank and cash transactions, ensures the use of proper and correct budget code; monitors cash payment and ensures the records or entries are up-to-date; pays attention on fluctuating exchange rate used for any transactions.
- Provides feedback and enhances internal controls to satisfy EFI audit requirements; takes part of providing data and records during the audit process; reports immediately on irregular spending to Senior Finance Officer and Country Manager as deemed appropriate.
- Takes part of payroll preparation in line with national fiscal system under guidance of HQ Senior Finance Officer and HR Manager.
- Complies with Finance and Procurement guidelines when dealing with any transactions; provides initiative to review current guidelines and proposes relevant recommendations.
- Ensures proper financial documentation in Iraq office; prepares reports and sends documentation to HQ in a timely manner; follows the financial check-list.
- Reviews the partner’s financial reports on a regular monthly bases; provides technical assistance to partners to enhance the finance systems and the organization’s internal controls.
- Coordinate with the procurement officer in Amman. This includes management of all service contracts and other agreements.
- Collects the leave request for Country Manager’s approval and sends them to HR Manager prior to payroll; updates the leave balance accurately in timely; collects the timesheet and verifies accuracy before sending them to HQ HR Manager.
- Takes part of regular staff meetings and respects to the weekly task report in line with performance management.
- If required, support EFI’s project activities with guidance from Senior Finance and Accounting Officer and Country Manager.
This position reports directly to Country Manager who is based in Erbil and to Senior Finance Officer in Paris. Close collaboration with Project Officer in Erbil, and Finance Controller in Amman.
- University degree in accounting or finance with preference professional certification in accounting.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Arabic is essential. French language is desirable.
- Excellent Microsoft Office application especially Excel. Desirable knowledge in financial system such as CIEL, SAP, Oracle etc.
- A minimum of four years of relevant work experience in finance and accounting is required.
- Proven experience in managing large budgets
- Demonstrated expertise in using accounting system
- Ability to provide technical guidance and advise especially to non-finance colleague
- Knowledge of Iraqi accounting principles
- Understanding of development field such as INGOs or institutional donor is desirable
- Demonstrated record of accurate and timely reporting
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning, organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to complete task and meet deadline.
- Detail-oriented approach with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way, presents effectively.
- Ability to work in a multicultural team and with partners sharing EFI core values.
- This role is open for qualified Iraqi candidates.
- Duty station is in Erbil
- A fixed-term position with contract length of 7 months extendable.
How to apply:
Email your brief cover letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 February 2020. Please also indicate ‘Accountant Officer Erbil’ as your email subject.